I am the new me. Rotating Header Image

In a show of solidarity…

Or just as a means to keep myself on track, I have decided to join my good friend Jenn in the quest to blog everything we eat this week.

If the truth were to be told, I would tell you that I have yet to return to my pre-marathon weight, from before the marathon I ran at the beginning of MAY!   For a good three weeks after that race, I was constantly hungry. And I mean actually hungry. Physically hungry. Stomach growling hungry.  And, no matter what I ate, or how much, I was hungry again 10 minutes later.

So, I ended up putting on a few pounds and when I went back in to marathon training for my most recent race, I wasn’t able to lose it.

Now, here I am, 2 weeks after my second marathon of 2011, and I am dealing with the post-marathon appetite again.   But this time, I am determined to not let it get the best of me.  This time I am determined to, not only not gain any additional weight, I am determined to lose the weight I have gained.

So, that bring me to today.  Day one of another session of blogging what I eat.

Today was a tough day. An unusual day.  It started at 4:20am when N’s alarm clock went off.

Yes, it went off this early on purpose. He flew out to Halifax this morning to go on a course for 2 weeks and he had to be at the airport by 6am!

There is NO WAY I am eating breakfast at that time in the morning, so I had a cup of tea and planned to eat at the Tim Horton’s at the airport.  (Oh, what’s that in the background? that’s the award Jenn & I, along with out team-mate Karen won at our annual WeightWatchers staff function yesterday.)

So, at 5am, N & I got in the car and headed to the airport. I stood in line at Timmie’s while N checked in. Finally, it was 6am, and I could think about food. I was actually starting to get hungry.  So, my Tim Horton’s favourite, a bagel & cream cheese & a cafe mocha for me!

Not the healthiest breakfast, I know, but with a 15K run coming up a couple hours later, I knew I needed something filling and something ‘carby’.

After leaving the airport, I went back to my place to have a cup of tea before it was time to head to running.   Since I had already been up for almost 4 hours at this time, I stopped along the way for a Coke Zero. I was in desperate need of caffienation!

After Jenn & I had a very successful 15K run, we joined our group for coffee. BUT… and this is a big BUT… before leaving the Running Room to go to the coffee shop, we made a pact to just have tea. Nothing else. No snacks. No treats. No breakfast sandwiches. Just tea.

So that’s what we did. Sat & chatted while enjoying a cup of tea.

After that, I had to head home for a few hours to do some laundry and relax before WeightWatchers work.  I stopped at the store on the way to get some fresh groceries for the next few days, and ran in to a WeightWatchers coworker.  Boy, did that make me think twice about what I put in my cart!

Since it was around noon by this point, and I hadn’t eaten anything since my bagel at 6am, I was starting to get pretty hungry, and we all know that being hungry in the grocery store is a bad idea. Man, did I have to really focus my efforts for this one.

Here is what I came out with. More caffeine. But, I HAD been up since 4:30am and still had to get through the evening at work!!!

My afternoon at home was spent drinking tea & eating a banana. I also snacked on one more Babybel light on my drive to work.

Once I got to work, I was starting to feel the exhaustion of the long day, so I grabbed an “Awake” tea at Starbucks and a banana at Safeway.  I also picked up a box of Fibre 1 Oats & Chocolate snack bars and had one before the meeting started to pick up my energy a little.

By the time I got home from work, it was almost 7pm and I was STARVING again.

I chopped up come broccoli & carrots, tossed them in some Olive Oil and garlic and put them in the oven to roast at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  This has become my new food obsession ever since we had roasted broccoli at Thanksgiving.  I also had a reheated left over BBQ chicken breast & some (more) coke zero.

I told you today was a highly caffeinated day. 3 coke zeros, 4(?) cups of tea and my cafe mocha.  It was also a 3 banana day!  If I wasn’t so totally exhausted, I would worry about my sleep tonight!


All in all, I think day one has been successful  Now it’s time to pack up my lunch & snack for work tomorrow and head to bed. I want to be ASLEEP by 9!

If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

One Comment

  1. Jenn Jones says:

    Awesome Day! We can dooo ittt. 😉